Wednesday 23 September 2015

Victoria and Albert Museum

We took a trip to the V&A 
On the journey there from the station to the museum, I took the underpass which leads you directly to one of the entrances. I found myself studying the walk there and observing things I would not normally see. 
I found that it was very quiet apart from the footsteps of people or echoes of people's noises. I could tell it was made to directly suit it's purpose and nothing else.
Along the walls there were advertisements for other exhibitions. 
Once inside the museum I looked around and found objects which I liked and caught my attention. 
This light caught my attention as it was made from dandelion seeds. I love the idea behind this as it is joining nature with an everyday basic need for light. The grid formation of the light has been carefully thought through as it allowed the dandelion heads to be dispersed over a larger surface area. 
The intensity of the colours on the bowls is what caught my eye as well as the look of the bowl having a flimsiness about it due to curving/warped shape. It is these type of imperfections that attracted me to the bowl as this is a type of Wabi-Sabi aesthetic which I enjoy seeing in art and daily life. These bowls were made of laquer which over time deepen the colour of the bowl. 
The laquer bowl is very contrasting to this bowl/vase which is very simplistic in its look from its colour, to texture and shape but I found it eye catching possibly because it came from a part of a set that ranged from small to large. 
When I first saw this vending machine at the museum, I did not understand the meaning but once reading it's side caption I found the meaning of it to be very truthful. It explores the idea of 'our increasing loss of control over biological data and privacy. It proposes a dystopian future of genetic engineering where DNA samples, each packaged with the picture of the donor, can be offered in a vending machine'; it is addressing the idea of personal data and information being shared and swapped as well as the idea of what future desires may hold of people. 
Chair made of plastic polymers
Hand knitted nylon filaments that we're knitted around toy marbles. 
This coat designed by Iris Van Herpen is breathtaking as from afar/first sight it appears to be a coat made from feathers. But close up, you can see that 
The coat was designed out of paper. This was made during the time Harpen was exploring the idea of the application of laser-cut mesh structures to form - highly articulated 3D patterns. I love the idea that Harpen took a basic machinery used often in design but more in graphics and product design but used this took somewhere else and to create a whole garment from it. 
Me and the Leaf 
Plaster relief 
I loved the tower of shops and houses found in London. For myself it showed an identity of how robust and packed London is, as well as the idea of there being many of one shop. The texture of the tower also made me think from afar that it was a pile of rubbish-almost as an exhibition version of a scrapyard. But even though close up it makes up a town of shops and houses, it could still represent the idea of the amount of dirt and waste we must collect and fill the ground with because of over populated world we live in. 
Close up you can see that the shops have been printed onto a care that has been folded. The fact that real shops have been printed on their gives it a greater realistic aspect, and makes me question what people would think and how they would react if painted instead especially as many of these shops are simplistic and could have easily been painted. 

I feel as though this is a main centrepiece of the V&A, made by David Chiluhi. Both its form and colours make it attractive to human eyes as well as it being placed in the ceiling in a main atrium/inner quad of the museum. 
Main atrium/inner quad. 
The hat of this wedding dress caught my eye due to its formation. For me it resembles idea of a birds nest, spiders web or a ball of hair. I love the looseness it it even though it is quite a tight formation. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment