Monday 12 October 2015

3D - Construction made of Spaghetti

We were given the task to contruct a structure of our choice that held 3 plastic balls that did touch one another. All the had to work with was 20 pieces of spaghetti and a hot glue gun.

I started off by drawing some initial ideas that I thought would be both aesthetically pleasing and functional to the task. Again we were told to draw differently to how we normally do such as with our right hand (I'm left handed), to draw with our eyes closed then place balls within the structure, to draw someone in the room upside down then place balls within the face drawn etc. I really enjoy tasks such as this as it gets you our of your normal drawing habitat and makes you think differently and opens you up to different ideas such as taking two idea that you've already drawn on your page and combining them together to make a new abstract shape.








I originally started off by trying to re-create a piece from within my sketch book but soon realised it was quite difficult getting spaghetti to stick together using a hot glue gun especially as for when you applied the hot glue to the spaghetti; the spaghetti had a tendency to break if moved. 

This led me to decide to create my structure and then draw the aftermath of what I saw in my sketchbook. 
I enjoyed making my structure this way as I never knew what the outcome would look like till I reached it and I found it to have quite an abstract, rigid shape which I loved. My structure could also be turned upside down and still hold 3 balls in 3 different areas.

















We were later given the task of creating a paper structure - almost a type of packaging that would stop our spaghetti structures from breaking. We were each given 6 sheets of paper that we had to use to protect our structures. Some people scrunched up paper and slotted them in holes within their structure but I did not think that would protect a structure full as then the corner pieces would break. 
I went back to my cylindrical form and slotted them in holes within my stuctur. I glued them down to a base piece of paper to make sure the tubes would not more or fall this lack the aim of supporting/ protecting the structure. 




Once I had made my protective structure I tested its strength first with my lunchbox which was full of pencil, scissors, glue etc. It managed to support the structure of the lunchbox but I questioned whether it would support the weight of anything much heavier. I was correct when Geoff used a heavy metal roller to test out our protection structures. None of them survived but I enjoyed the task. 

No comments:

Post a Comment