Monday 12 October 2015

Coding


We spent the day doing a coding workshop which I really enjoyed. The men who led the class were really interactive with us. Doing this workshop made me realise how necessary coders are to have in our everyday life and how hard it is as well as making sure every step is correct. 
The coders started off by showing us their webpage/app they made which I loved at it combined - pages/word, iPhoto/pictures and the Internet onto one app. It meant that when you were making a PowerPoint the next slide word go directly to the Internet page which would be open and could be used (so wasn't a screenshot) or could be an image. The app meant you didn't have to close or minimise one page you were one to show the next which may be on a different app. 
We started off the day by writing a step by step process of leaving our house to get to university. 
We spent the second half of the day using a programme they had made. 

We had to remember to think about the "programme", "variables" that may come about. What are "input" was and what we wanted our "output" to be.




We searched stars 'nebulla and vortex' through their app. Once we had done that we went back onto finder and found a folder which had been automatically made through the programme.


On the app I also searched my name so see what images came up of me on the internet and these went straight to a new folder in finder.





















We shown the next stages step by step, we were told to type {border:10px solid red;}








I then went back onto finder and clicked the folder which said giraffe, opened it and it took me to a webpage where all the giraffe images had boarders on it.

We were told that the boarders could be taken off or changed if we changed the code we had written.




I tried this out by going back onto the programme where we had type {border:10px solid red;}
and instead wrote
{border:10px solid none;}
I went back onto the giraffe internet link and when I opened it the images had no boarders.




I then went back and wanted to change the colour of the boarder so instead of writing {border:10px solid red;}
I instead wrote
{border:10px solid blue;}







I enjoyed the coding workshop but felt as though we were taken through it quite quickly so didn't really get a chance to understand how it fully worked and could not do it myself in my free time as it was a programme they had made and brought in for the workshop. But I did understand the basics of it nd that every little detail in coding my be written or else the programme will not work correctly as it evident of some people who took longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment