Sunday 11 October 2015

Lens Based Media - Narrative Storyboard

We spent the afternoon creating characters. We started off by drawing someone we have come across in our lives that we thought were a bit peculiar. I chose to write about this Rastafarian man who whenever I see him in Portobello Market starts sings you are my sunshine. Though it is a bit odd that he starts to sing it when I see him, I love the fact that he does. 
I thought about drawing this man who I see in Ladbroke Grove who always wears all leather and skates about but thought I would take a positive approach on it rather than scanning my mind for people who I think are really weird. Because even though I may find them strange and odd they may have had a bad up-bringing and though they may be odd to me; they may not be to someone else but it is just society and the media that has made me see them as being weird. 


We had to write characteristics about him so I said how though he plays the steels drums and sings on weekends he has a normal 9-5 job on the weekday where he wars a suit. 
-He is married with two children. 
-But is often faced by being sterotyped because he has dreadlocks etc.so many people are surprised that he has a regular office job and sometimes feels as though he is undermined and looked upon as being below by his co-workers. 
>He was the Antagonist in the situation. 



We were then asked to draw someone who would be the opposite of our first character. I named him Benjamin. 
He was brought up in a middle-class family in France. They moved to England when he was a teenager. 
-Benjamin though younger than my Rastafarian was higher up in the company due to his parents having contacts within the firm. 
-Both Benjamin and the Rastafarian had studied economics at university and Benjamin had come out with worse grade but due to his social up bring, possibly his race and the fact his parents knew people within this sector, he was automatically given a better job. 

We then working with people on our table chose an antagonist from the ones we had already drawn. As a group we chose Louise who had drawn ‘Creepy Tom’ - a guy who she works with in Tesco’s.

We had to draw 6 boxes and had to make a protagonist for Creepy Tom’s antagonist features. 

-We as a group decided to have a lady walk past Tom in Tesco’s who he instantly fell in love with. 
-She declined him because of his looks. Plus she's the type of girl who could have any guy she wanted so why would she pick Tom. 
-His next action was to quit Tesco’s and prove he was worth having her by going to the gym, getting his teeth fixed etc.
-He then went back to Tesco’s where he saw her again and of course this time she was attracted to him because he was a hunk and no longer worked in Tesco’s 
-But Tom turned her down as he had found someone who liked him for who he was and not just his looks.

I really enjoyed this task as working as a group though I do not feel all of my group participated. 
I think the frames - drawn by Louise worked well as you could understand the storyline. 
Our story had a starting problem, a climax and an ending which was the aim and I think we were successful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment