Sunday 11 October 2015

3D - Water bottle and Chair structure

We started off the day by drawing sketches that were each based around a different theme. We did I this to loosen our minds and the way we think and draw. I enjoyed this activity as I came up with sketches that I would not traditionally come up with and the way we came to these different outcomes with different. 
Our first drawing started off as a basic squiggle (dark black line). Our task was to make it into a chair that would sit two people and a cat. I extended my squiggle so that it could hold two people and a cat. I then started to add a 3D curved thickness to the chair to give a better idea of the dimensions as can be seen on the right hand half of the chair. I felt this made the chair look more realistic as it was becoming more of a life sketch that could then be made on a CAD/CAM programme and be developed. 

We were told to draw two shapes that were identical.after we had our two identical shapes we were told to make them into shoes. At first I thought that this might be challenging as they were perculiar shapes. But once I started twisting my paper round looking at what type of shoe I could make it into as well as we're would be the base and where I would place the legs/ankles. 

I chose to look at the shape being this way up, with the large round surface area being the base. As the image below shows the side profile (with the person walking to their right) but not flat on and where the legs would be placed invetween to two narrow curved arches. I put grips on the bottom of the shoes especially as they have a curved base. The curvature on the bottom reminds me a bit of sketcher shoes that have a curved bottom. 



I do not enjoy this drawing of mine but feel it is important to document both my good and bad sketches. This is of a birdseye view of a shopping mall and car park that I made up. I think t he whole layout of the mall could be improved with the geometrics as well as the layout of the road and carpark.

This image started off as a 2D drawing of a broccoli. Out task was to make it into a rabbit hole where they had a place to eat and sleep. I thought this was quite a funny task that I enjoyed as it meant it was not a typical rabbit hut. I made the main broccoli (broccoli stalk) into the rabbit hut where the rabbit would sleep and had a drinking hole. The ramp held the food storage and at the other end there was a running wheel where the rabbit could get some exercise.

We were told to draw one of our favourite clothing items that we owned and so I drew a pair of dungarees that I own. We were then told to make it into a lamp. I put small LED lights around the outline of the dungarees and had a main light coming out of the top of the dungarees. 


We started off by drawing three shapes. I drew a circle, square and triangle. and then out task was to make it into a motorcycle.  I added wheels tot he base of the triangle and square then drew a main body to the motorcycle with a light to the front. I enjoyed this task as it was a bit comical and again made you think in a new way instead of a traditional concept of a motorcycle.



We we're given the task to make a water bottle holder that would hold a bottle 20cm above a flat surface, ie. A table.
We were only able to use a maximum of a metre of masking tape and 4 A3 sheets of paper. 
The water bottle itself was 220mm high X  100mm wide and would be filled with water. 
I started off by cutting all my sheets 23cm high and rolled them all into cylindrical shapes that all had the same width once rolled. 
To secure them I used my masking tape.


I chose to use circular shapes to hold my bottle as I knew they would be strong. I cut triangles into them using a scalpel to create depth to the structure and knew this would create shading effects especially if there was a light shining from the inside out. 

I tested my piece first using my mobile phone to make sure it was stable with lighter products before testing it with a heavier product such as the water bottle. It held the mobile phone easily and was very stable. 



I then went onto test whether it held a water bottle which was full of water and still it was stable. I also tried it out with just three of the circular structures I made rather than four and still the water bottle was supported and was sturdy.

Later that day we had the challenge of make a chair that didn't look like a chair out of corrugated cardboard. The chair had to support you body weight as well as be able to be deconstructed into a flat pack form and reconstructed within 2minutes. 
Initially I struggled to come up with a chair concept as it had to be both be able to be flat packed as well as not look like a chair.
I started off by drawing different shapes and possible basic structures. Looking back at my water bottle holder I made earlier as well as other people's, I knew that both circular and triangular structures were very stable. I thought about slotting sheets of paper together as they use this type of grid work effect within cardboard to hold of bottles of wine.
 And can be easily flat packed.
I chose to use basic shapes and methods to form the chair as I knew this would make it easier to be flat packed. As well as thinking in terms of a client/consumer make it easier for them to construct in their homes just as many items come packaged in this way such as beds, cupboards, children's games etc. 
I started off by cutting a slot in the centre of two sheets of cardboard (horizontal). I then slotted these at equal distances from the centre of the sheet that ran parallel to the others  slotting two pieces of card over the long horizontal piece.
I originally started off by taping both ends together to form a diamond shape over the main horizontal sheet. I was then going to place the last sheet over the top but knew it would not hold my weight.





















I rearranged the structure to make it more sturdy but folding the sheets in on themselves - forming triangular shapes 
After I had done this I realised I could had followed a similar theme to the one I used to make my water bottle holder of making four triangles. Then the consumer could arrange them in any way they liked and could sit on top.








I had a friend of mine sit on my chair so I could document the process. As you can see from my photos the outcome did not look like a traditional chair but did hold the weight of a human. Once he sat on the cardboard you can see that the card does start to bend but still holds his weight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment